Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Animated Skull V2
I have been working all month on a revised version of the animated skull I built last year which was something that took me 2 years to complete. I am building a new skull for a seminar I am doing the beginning of May. I thought I'd make a few improvements over the first one while I was at it.
1. Use 1/8" instead of 1/4" plexiglas for the plate. It is easier to cut and lighter weight.
2. Use 60lb fishing line for the Jaw connection instead of wire or rod. Reduces the stress on the jaw servo and creates a more life like movement.
3. Use rare earth magnets instead of zip ties to hold the plate down. Much easier to take the plate on and off with.
4. Use 2-56 sized ball and socket linkages instead of 4-40 ball swivels. You can easily pop them on and off and they are much smaller
5. Use RJ-45 ethernet jacks for wiring connectors. Easier to organize the wires and less obvious.
I am working on a design for moving eyes but it hasn't worked out yet. I think for my seminar I'll probably use the same fixed LED eyes but for this halloween I'll figure out the eyes.